Monday, November 1, 2010

Malia's Devotion

I want to share my 14 year old daughters devotion. I hope you are drawn closer to Jesus through this word. I would also like to highlight her "observation." For those of you "diggin' deeper" in God's Word, correct observation can lead you to fruitful application while not taking Scripture out of context. As you read God's Word, remember to always consider the context of the Scripture you are journaling on. Context always leads us to proper observation and determines the meaning of Scripture.

Thanks for sharing your devotions Malia!

November 1, 2010

Malia Shimabukuro

Scripture

And when he had entered the house, his disciples asked him privately, “Why could we not cast it out?” And he said to them “This kind cannot be driven out by anything but prayer.” Mark 9:28&29

Observation

A father had a son that had an evil spirit in him. The father expecting to find Jesus, see His disciples and transfers his expectations on the disciples, who are learning to represent Jesus. But they could not do it, so when the father sees Jesus he says my son has an evil spirit in him from childhood. I asked your disciples, but they could not do it. And Jesus said to His disciples “O faithless generation…” A problem that people had even the disciples is that they are faithless. Jesus said to the father “All things are possible for the believers.” Immediately he repented and cried out I believe, help my unbelief. And Jesus healed the boy! Later when they went to the house the disciples asked Jesus privately, probably because they were ashamed or embarrassed that they could not cast out the spirit. Jesus said to them, “This kind cannot be driven out by anything but PRAYER.” Besides their lack of understanding, the disciples ability to fully carry out their commission from Jesus. This time that they failed is a place for encouragement for more prayer, and more time and effort into prayer. And therefore in closer fellowship with God leads to growth in their faith.

Application

I want to be a woman of God that is always praying. Because in this leads to growth in faith. I do not want to just pray for my food three times a day and that is it. But I want to be a woman of God that is devoted to praying to God about anything and everything. I do not want to be a generation that is of little faith or faithless, but to be courageous and pursuit after what God has called me to do. I do not want to lack understanding, but I want to represent Jesus.

Prayer

Jesus help me have a hear t that believes more firmly. Help me to pray to you daily. Meaning everything with all of my heart, help me to grow in faith. And but time and effort into my prayers. Help me be a part of a generation with so much faith. To do anything because I am a believer of You. I.J.N.A.