Saturday, November 27, 2010

...in Weaknesses and all!


Plutarch said “Character is simply a long habit continued.”


Chuck Swindoll quotes Plutarch, the 1st century Greek biographer and historian in his book “The Quest for Character.“ When I was a youth pastor, I used Chuck’s book as a required text for all of our interns to study through. There are so many quests young people have. Relationships, career, fame, fortune, significance, etc. Actually, the list is no different from adults and people in general. At the top of our ”Quest List“ should be character.


I am challenged by Plutarch’s quote asking my heart and soul, ”What kind of character has developed into a long habit?“ There are some good character traits and some bad ones that I identify. I’m so grateful to Jesus for His ongoing grace and the Holy Spirit who intervenes and intercedes for me - in my weaknesses and all!


Romans 8 [NET] 26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness, for we do not know how we should pray,29 but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with inexpressible groanings. 27 And he30 who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit31 intercedes on behalf of the saints according to God’s will. 28 And we know that all things work together32 for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose, 29 because those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that his Son